Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
When I was still of trick-or-treating age (many, many moons ago), my friend’s mom brought us a bowl of toasted pumpkin seeds while we were carving away. At the time I had no idea they were the remnants of the pumpkin we had just cleaned out, I simply gobbled up every last bite!
When hollowing out your pumpkin, reserve the seeds and you will be rewarded with a wonderfully healthy and delicius snack. The following recipe for roasting pumpkin seeds is adapted from Recipezaar …
How to Raost Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and set the oven rack to the middle position.
- Once you have cut the pumpkin and removed the insides, separate the seeds out and rinse them in cold water to remove any remaining pumpkin flesh.
- Place the seeds in a medium-sized saucepan with water and salt (use 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons of salt for every 1/2 cup of seeds).
- Bring the seeds to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain well. Place the seeds on a paper towel and pat them until they are fairly dry.
- Brush about 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of a cookie/baking sheet. Spread out the seeds onto the cookie/baking sheet in one layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the seeds begin to brown. When the seeds are browned to your liking then remove from oven and let the pan cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired. Either crack open to remove the inner seed or eat whole.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, grain-free, Halloween, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian