This recipe for mashed sweet potato madness is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Mary Shivers. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
This sweet mashed sweet potato side is infused with creamy almonds and spiced with cinnamon.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mashed Sweet Potato Madness
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 8 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ packed organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⅓ cups lightly toasted chopped walnuts, divided use
- In a deep 5-quart pot, bring water and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes. Boil for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Use canola oil to grease 8 (8 oz. each) ramekins or custard cups.
- Put almond milk, almond butter, syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. When potatoes are tender, drain very well then place in bowl with other ingredients. Mix on low speed until smooth. Stir 1 cup walnuts into mixture. Divide into ramekins. Divide and sprinkle remaining walnuts on top of each.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through. Serve as a side dish.