I love adding spice to creamy smoothies, so I was excited to see this flavorful Mexican chocolate smoothie concept – spiked with cinnamon, cayenne and an extra dose of nibby chocolate! The recipe is a Sippable entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Hallie Klecker of Daily Bites.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Special Diet Notes: Mexican Chocolate Smoothie
For a nut-free Mexican chocolate smoothie, substitute sunflower seed butter for the almond butter, and use coconut milk beverage rather than cashew.
Need banana-free? I recommend substituting frozen cubes of cooked pumpkin plus 1 to 2 softened, pitted Medjool dates in this Mexican chocolate smoothie recipe for those of you who shun bananas.
- 1 frozen banana (the riper the better!)
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Cashew Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs or dairy-free chocolate chips, plus additional for topping (optional)
- Place the banana, milk beverage, cacao powder, almond butter, cinnamon and cayenne in you blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the cacao nibs or chocolate chips and pulse to break them into little flecks throughout.
- Pour into a glass, and if desired, top with additional nibs or chocolate chips.