Alisa Fleming ~ For the first time ever, Tony was craving frosting, not cake (yes, the man has a big sweet tooth). Typically, I’m the one who would rather pile a big heap of creamy frosting on a graham cracker and call it a birthday cake, while he used to be happy with the cake alone. It seems, I have converted him. I happily headed to the kitchen to whip up a batch of creamy vegan frosting.
Little did I know at that moment (he told me later) that he would have been happy with the vegan frosting and a spoon. To make it a complete package, I decided to trial a grain-free chocolate cupcake recipe for his gluten-free needs. The cupcakes were a total bomb. I mean, they were fine as a simple vessel for this truly amazing milk chocolate vegan frosting, but I would never make them again.
This milky, chocolaty vegan frosting however, IS ‘da bomb (yeah, I know I’m definitely not cool) …
We did end up eating the leftover frosting with a spoon, sandwiched between graham crackers (just me, we didn’t have any gluten-free ones on hand), and as an ice cream topping. Did you know that dairy-free ice cream and frosting are pure heaven together? A sugar bomb, yes, but oh so worth it.
I actually set out to make a simple chocolate dairy-free and vegan frosting, but this really did turn out like soft, sweet pillows of milk chocolate! It was definitely a pleasant surprise.
I know, this isn’t a healthy recipe. I went for the gusto since Tony really wanted a “true dessert,” and I’d rather he have that at home where I could control the ingredients. I’m also a big believer in moderation. I like sweet treats, especially vegan frosting, on occasion, too.
Strict vegans, please note that some brands of powdered sugar may not be vegan. For this recipe, I used Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Powdered Sugar, which is certified vegan and is even corn-free (made with sugar and wee bit of tapioca starch).
Now go, make this incredible, easy, 5-minute milk chocolaty vegan frosting now! Oh, and if you have a good gluten-free chocolate cake recipe to recommend, please do feel free to comment with the link below. Fortunately, a big gob of this awesome frosting helped to mask the imperfections of the cupcakes that I made for a yummy overall dessert.
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar (I used Wholesome Sweeteners which is certified vegan)
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine (I used Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- 2 tablespoons plain or vanilla non-dairy milk alternative (of choice) or coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- Sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and mix on low speed, to help prevent powder from flying everywhere, until everything is incorporated. Then whip for a minute on a higher speed to make it a little fluffy.
- Frost your cake or cupcakes as desired, or eat it straight from the spoon!