These adorable, personal-sized mini dairy-free pumpkin pies do use eggs, in fact the recipe was shared with us by Incredible Eggs. But this slightly adapted version is indeed dairy-free. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone, see this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mini Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
For soy-free mini dairy-free pumpkin pies, be sure to select a non-hydrogenated shortening such as Spectrum.
For gluten-free mini dairy-free pumpkin pies, use your favorite gluten-free pie crust recipe, such as Carol’s Perfect Gluten-Free Pie Crust.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening, cold
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dairy-free creamer or light canned coconut milk
- To make unbaked crusts, mix the flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in the shortening with pastry blender until pieces are size of small peas.
- Mix the egg yolks, 6 tablespoons ice water and lemon juice in small bowl. Add to the flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly and tossing with fork until moistened and dough just holds together. Add remaining ice water, if needed to hold it together.
- Gather the dough and shape into six 1-inch-thick disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out each dough disk on a lightly floured surface, rolling from center to edge, to form 6-inch circles. Fold into quarters; ease and unfold into six 4-inch pie plates. Press the pastry gently against bottom and sides of each pie plate, easing out any air. Trim the edges leaving ½-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under and flute the edges.
- Cover the crusts with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- To make the filling, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl. Beat in the creamer or coconut milk.
- Pour approximately ⅔ cup of the filling into each chilled mini pie crust.
- Carefully place the pies on a rack in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 20–22 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of a pie comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Loosely cover the pies with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to firm up.
- Garnish with toasted pecans and whipped coconut cream, if desired.