This recipe for nutty fried yogurt is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Hidemi Walsh. To qualify, the recipe includes Greek-style Almond Milk Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Nutty Fried Yogurt Bites
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For tree nut-free and dairy-free fried yogurt bites, use Greek-style coconut milk yogurt.
- 1 cup (6oz) So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Greek Cultured Almond Milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup panko crumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Peanut oil for deep-fry
- Sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Line medium bowl (enough to put the cultured almond milk) with 2-3 paper towels. Put the cultured almond milk on the paper towels. Refrigerate for 7-8 hours. (To drain the cultured almond milk completely)
- Put all-purpose flour on a medium size plate, put the beaten egg into a deep bowl (to make coating easier) and put the panko on a medium size plate.
- Take about tablespoonful of cultured almond milk, put on a plate or cutting board (no need to shape at this point), sprinkle salt and black pepper over the cultured almond milk. Then coat with all-purpose flour (just roll each on the plate since it is still difficult to shape at this point), dip in beaten egg (if it is not easy to coat, using spoon makes easier) and coat with panko shaping into a ball.
- Heat peanut oil in a frying pan or work and deep fry (about 325ºF) the cultured almond milk balls until light brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce.