This Hawaiian style pasta is a fun option for kids! Most kids will love plain old (inexpensive) Hunt’s tomato sauce, but feel free to check our sauces page for some excellent varieties of dairy free and healthy pasta sauces. To make this recipe vegan, try the deli “meats” from Lightlife and Vegi-Deli. A list of vegan “cheeses” can be found on our Cheese Alternatives page.
Special Diet Notes: Hawaiian Style Pasta for Kids
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Optionally gluten-free.
- 1 (8 ounce) package pasta (your shape and type of choice)
- 1 cup tomato based pasta sauce
- 2 slices fresh or canned pineapple, cut into pieces
- 2 cups chopped ham or salami
- Vegan Mozzarella or Parmesan (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the tomato sauce, pineapple, and ham/salami. Toss in the cooked pasta, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce begins to bubble (about 10 min). Serve sprinkled with vegan mozarella or parmesan if desired.