Using naturally bold flavors, like sun-dried tomatoes and olives, can offer a great substitute for dairy based pastas. We altered this low fat chicken and sun-dried tomato pasta recipe from the website of Mrs. Green’s Natural Markets (located throughout the North East).
Special Diet Notes: Low Fat Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free. Optionally gluten-free.
- 1 cup low or reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1½ oz. sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil, about 16)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups cooked pasta of choice (works well with whole grain pastas)
- Chopped olives
- Combine broth and tomatoes in a small sauce pan and warm gently on low heat.
- Take off heat and let sit 5 minutes. Drain, reserving broth.
- Finely chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Place chicken, ½ cup broth, wine, basil, oil, salt and pepper in saucepan and heat gently till hot. When pasta is done, drain and toss with chicken mixture and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with chopped olives and serve.
- Set out a bowl of vegan parmesan for topping if desired.