Peanut-Free Pad Thai
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (or 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (omit if using tamarind)
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- ¼ cup chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots or red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 8 medium shrimp (optional)
- 1 large bunch green onions, cut on the bias into 2.5-cm (1-inch) lengths
- 3 cups bean sprouts or baby bok choy
- ½ cup coriander sprigs
- 4 lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed (optional)
- Soak rice noodles in very hot water for about 20 minutes. They should be pliable and drape over your hand but still have a little texture. They soften more in the wok. Drain noodles and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, ketchup, sambal oelek and stock and set aside.
- In a wok or skillet over high heat, heat oil. Add shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until almost cooked through. Add shrimp, if using, and toss together for 1 minute or until shrimp starts to turn pink. Add noodles and toss to combine. Add sauce, toss again and add green onions and half of the bean sprouts. Cook for 2 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Sprinkle with remaining bean sprouts, coriander and garnish with lime wedges. Sprinkle with flaxseed, if using, and serve immediately.