In a season filled with mayo-drenched coleslaw, pasta, and potato salads, it’s nice to have a flavor-packed option that’s naturally vegan and completely mayonnaise free. This vegan potato salad recipe gets its zing from the salad’s “accessories.” In addition to the simple, savory vinaigrette, olives and capers lend a bold, salty, and rich vibe that makes you forget that there isn’t a sprinkle of parmesan in the whole thing.
To give the food at your next barbecue or 4th of July party an All-American theme, this vegan potato salad uses a combination of red, white, and purple potatoes – all of which are getting easier to find at the grocery store.
Also, I recently learned that black olives are quintessential All-American ingredients. Did you know that 95 percent of the nation’s black and green ripe olives are grown on family farms in California?
Special Diet Notes: Patriotic Vegan Potato Salad
by ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ½ pound red potatoes, diced
- ½ pound Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- ¼ pound purple potatoes, diced
- ⅔ cup California Ripe Olives, halved
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In large pot, boil water and potatoes. Cook until tender, drain and cool to room temperature.
- Combine potatoes, olives, green onions and celery in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, mustard and capers.
- Gradually whisk in olive oil, then season with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Pour dressing over potato mixture and toss until evenly coated.