This recipe for poached pears with green tea cream sauce is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Tina Coopman. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Creamer by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Easy poached pears are topped with a generous drizzle of a dairy-free green tea cream sauce.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Poached Pears with Green Tea Cream Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. In fact, they are generally food allergy-friendly!
For a vegan green tea cream sauce, simply use agave nectar in place of the honey.
- 4 Bartlett pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Creamer
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 green tea bags
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Core from the bottom.
- Bring sugar, water and vanilla to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Once syrup is boiling place pears in, cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until pears are cooked through.
- While pears are cooking bring coconut cream, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon honey to a boil in another pan.
- Add green tea bags and reduce to a simmer, simmering 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a bowl until thoroughly mixed, creating a slurry. Remove tea bags, squeezing them before removing. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the green tea cream, and simmer for a minute or 2, until slightly thickened.
- Once pears are cooked remove from the water, allowing to drain excess syrup. Place in the middle of a plate, drizzle some of the remaining honey and scoop some green tea cream sauce on top. Repeat with the remaining pears.