This recipe for a raisin bread French toast fruit tower is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Anita Archibald. For the toast marinade, she uses Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Raisin Bread French Toast Fruit Tower
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just be sure to choose your bread wisely and use a dairy-free margarine that is also soy-free (select varieties of Earth Balance) if desired.
For gluten-free and dairy-free raisin bread French toast, use your favorite gluten-free raisin bread.
- 5 Slices Cranberry Raisin Focaccia Bread (or dairy-free raisin bread of your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup So Delicious Vanilla Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- ⅓ cup dairy-free margarine
- ½ firm peach, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 firm kiwi, sliced into thin rounds
- ⅓ firm mango, sliced thinly
- 2 slices pineapple, sliced thinly
- 3 round slices of apple with peel
- ⅓ firm yellow banana
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 slices of (turkey) bacon
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Cup So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Cut the crusts off the bread. Beat the eggs with the sugar and cinnamon. Now add the vanilla almond milk and mix again. Place the slices side to side in a large shallow dish, and pour the eggy mixture over. Soak the bread for at least 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has been soaked up by the bread.
- Meanwhile, brown the margarine in a pan over a medium heat. Carefully fry the slices of bread until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place peach, kiwi, mango, banana, pineapple and apple on indoor grill preheated to medium-high heat for 1 -2 minutes or until grill marks appear, turn slices over and repeat. Add Turkey Bacon Slices and grill until marks appear on both sides.
- For balsamic glaze add 1 cup vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl and add maple syrup.
- Drizzle grilled fruit with balsamic syrup blend.
- To assemble sandwich, place 1st slice of grilled raisin bread on plate topped with some vanilla bean coconut milk frozen dessert, pineapple and peach slices, followed by 2nd grilled raisin bread slice, mango and kiwi and a drizzling of balsamic syrup, 3rd slice of grilled raisin bread, bananas, apples, blueberries, frozen dessert, 4th slice of bread, bacon, a drizzle of balsamic syrup, raspberries, frozen dessert and lastly the 5th slice of raisin bread. Voila...an edible masterpiece! Sprinkle some powdered sugar over entire sandwich if desired.