This recipe for an Almond Crumble Tart is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Cheryl Perry. For the creamy tart filling, she uses dairy-free Greek-Style Almond Milk Yogurt from So Delicious.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Raspberry Almond Crumble Tart
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For soy-free, just be sure to select a dairy-free and soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple).
For a nut-free almond crumble tart, So Delicious offers Greek-Style Coconut Milk Yogurt. Note that many brands of almond extract are actually nut-free! Check the labels.
- 1 cup oats
- 1¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 stick dairy-free margarine, frozen
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Greek Cultured Almond Milk
- 2½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ pints fresh raspberries
- Add the oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar and lemon zest to a medium bowl; grate the frozen margarine into the bowl. Cut the mixture together with a pastry cutter or fork until blended into crumbs; reserve ¼ of the crumbs then press remaining amount into the bottom & sides of a tart dish. Place tart in freezer for five minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. degrees.
- On a baking sheet lined in parchment, crumble reserved ¼ cup topping on one side sheet. On opposite side of sheet pan, place the prepared tart shell. Place sheet pan in oven; bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden then remove sheet pan from oven, cooling both the tart crust and crumble in freezer for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a medium saucepan, whisk together the almond milk, all purpose flour, cornstarch, and granulated sugar; heat over medium low temperature and continue whisking until blended. Simmer the mixture, continually whisking, for five minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat, whisk in the almond extract and strain through a fine sieve directly into the prepared crust.
- Cover tart with plastic wrap, pressing onto surface to keep skin from forming. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- To serve, press raspberries evenly into surface of the tart and crumble remaining crust over the top.