What better way to show off a new cookbook then to present a sample recipe from the publication, and this raw, vegan chocolate orange torte is a decadent yet easy representation of what you will discover in The Blender Girl. I mean seriously, is it any wonder that this amazing vegan AND gluten-free cookbook hit the top 200 of ALL books on Amazon?
This chocolate orange torte recipe is reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks–100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes! by Tess Masters, copyright © 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Raw Chocolate Orange Torte
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and delightfully raw. Note that all of the recipes in The Blender Girl are made without dairy, eggs, and gluten.
- 1 cup (160g) raw whole almonds
- ½ cup (80g) firmly packed chopped pitted dates, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup (18g) cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut oil in liquid form
- 1 cup (240ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup (180ml) raw agave nectar
- ½ cup (35g) cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups (420g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- Pinch of natural salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Shaved vegan chocolate, to garnish (optional)
- Finely grated orange zest, to garnish (optional)
- To make the crust, grease a 9- or 10-inch (23 or 25cm) springform pan with coconut oil. Put the almonds, dates, and cacao powder into your food processor and process until well combined and the mixture forms a dough. Form the dough into a ball; if the dough doesn’t hold together, you may need to add more dates and process again. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
- To make the filling, put all of the ingredients into your blender in the order listed and blend for 2 to 3 minutes, until rich and creamy. To achieve the smoothest filling, stop the machine periodically and scrape down the sides of the container. Pour the filling into the crust. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and freeze the torte for 8 hours.
- To serve, transfer the pan from the freezer to the fridge at least 1½ hours before serving; let the torte defrost in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and then cut the torte into slices with a very sharp knife. Keeping the slices together, return the torte to the fridge to continue defrosting for at least an hour before serving.
The prep time does not include chilling time.