After Ian (my youngest son) was diagnosed with a milk allergy I stopped making rice pudding because it contained milk. Recently I modified my recipe and Ian is now a huge fan!
It's very simple to make and changing up the flavor is easy too. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or cardamom, throw in some raisins or other dried fruit when you cook the rice, or try some grated orange zest and a little orange flavoring with the vanilla extract (orange would be great with a tad of cinnamon and some cardamom!).
- ¾ cup rice
- 1½ cup water
- 1 cup rice milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup rice milk
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or non-hydrogenated spread
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring water to boil and add rice. Just before all the water is absorbed, add 1 cup rice milk, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Continue to boil on low until thick and creamy.
- Combine beaten egg and ½ cup rice milk. Add to rice mixture and stir continually until the pudding is very thick.
- Remove from heat and add margarine and vanilla. Dish into serving bowls and serve warm, or cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge. Serve cold.