You know how much I love Asian food, right? If you have been following this website for even one month, then you should have noticed this by now. Americanized or authentic, if the recipe concept is from China, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea, or Thailand then I will probably love it. So when the publisher of the new cookbook Vegan 101: Master Vegan Cooking with 101 Great Recipes offered to share a sample vegetable stir-fry recipe, I simply couldn’t say no.
Vegan 101 is one of the first offerings in Agate Surrey’s brand-new 101 series, providing readers with 101 well-tested vegan recipes, presented in a clean, simple, easy-to-use format, along with basic kitchen advice and helpful how-to tips. To add global flare, and increase its appeal to both beginner and veteran vegan cooks, the recipes in Vegan 101 are drawn from a wide variety of regional cuisines. Vegan 101 was designed with practicality in mind, too. I had a peek inside, and it is simply and attractively laid out, contains several full color photos, and according to the publisher, it has a “lay flat” binding for ease of use in the kitchen!
Some of the recipes in Vegan 101 that caught my eye include:
- Hot Ginger Lemonade
- Sesame Wonton Cups with Sweet Sesame Dressing
- Sloppy Joes
- Vietnamese Curried Coconut Soup
- French-Style Onion Pizza
- Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Brazilian Black Bean Bake
- Sugar-Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Pearl Onions
- Pumpkin Cookies with Classic Icing
- Double Evil Brownies
- … and this Rice Noodle & Vegetable Stir-Fry …
- 1 package (8 ounces [224 gm]) rice noodles
- 1 cup (236 mL) each: cut green beans, cubed yellow summer squash
- ½ cup (118 mL) each: thinly sliced celery, red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 cups (473 mL) shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup (236 mL) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dry sherry (optional)
- 2-3 teaspoons (10-15 mL) light soy sauce
- ½-1 teaspoon (2.5-5 mL) Szechuan chili sauce
- Place noodles in large bowl; cover with cold water. Let stand until noodles separate and are soft, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Stir-fry green beans, squash, celery, bell pepper, green onions, and gingerroot in oil in large wok or skillet until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in noodles and remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until noodles have absorbed all liquid, about 5 minutes.