This recipe for Roasted Eggplant Slices in a Creamy Shrimp Sauce is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Roxanne Chan. For a rich but light sauce, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Roasted Eggplant Slices with Creamy Shrimp Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. For a tree nut-free and dairy-free creamy shrimp sauce, feel free to omit the toasted almonds.
- 4 large eggplant slices, cut ½ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tsp minced lemongrass
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup flake coconut
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp thai green curry paste
- 1 Tbsp minced green onion
- 1 Tbsp minced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped cooked shrimp
- Garnish: lemon zest and cilantro sprigs
- Brush the eggplant with the oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or till tender.
- While the eggplant is cooking place the coconut milk beverage, lemon grass, ginger root, almonds, coconut, broth and curry paste in a blender and blend till smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or till thickened and reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in the onion, bell pepper and shrimp.
- Plate each eggplant slice, spoon the shrimp sauce over top and garnish with the zest and cilantro.