This pancetta tarts recipe is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Nancy Diana. For a hearty yet rich base, she uses AlmondMilk and Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious.
Note that dairy-free tart crusts aren’t too hard to find (many are made with oil or shortening rather than butter), but you can also make your own. We like this Easy Olive Oil Tart Crust recipe.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Pancetta Tarts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy and peanut-free.
For gluten-free and dairy-free pancetta tarts, seek out suitable pie shells, or make your own! This Gluten-Free Tart Crust from Elana’s Pantry is a cinch.
For soy-free and dairy-free pancetta tarts, choose your dairy-free cream cheese substitute wisely. Companies such as Daiya are now offering soy-free options in grocery stores.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2-inch thick piece of pancetta, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 250 ml (8 ounces) dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup So Delicious Unsweetened Original Coconut Milk Beverage or Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 12 3-inch frozen dairy-free tart shells
- 3 fresh figs, quartered*
- ¼ cup chopped almonds, skin on
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened. Add the pancetta and rosemary and cook until almost crisp. Remove skillet from the heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the cream cheese alternative, salt, pepper, egg, coconut milk, and milk beverage. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Fold in the pancetta mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into tart shells, filling them ¾ of the way up.
- Nestle 1 piece of fig, decoratively into the mixture.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden
proceed as above.