The recipe was submitted by Becky Timbers as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Make these vegan pots de creme ahead to impress dinner guests or simply to stock-up your own dairy-free dessert reserves for the week! The salt provides a savory contrast that enhances the depth of your favorite dark chocolate and keeps the end result from being too sweet.
Special Diet Notes: Salted Chocolate Vegan Pots de Creme
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. To keep the recipe soy-free, be sure to select a chocolate that is top allergen-free, like Enjoy Life or Pascha.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (about 70% cacao), roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond or Coconut Milk Creamer
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon or less cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- For the pots de crème, melt the chocolate in a double broiler over medium heat
- While the chocolate is melting, pulse the cashews in a food processor until mostly smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk the coconut oil into the melted chocolate until fully incorporated. Whisk in the creamer, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cayenne (if using). Let cook, whisking often, for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the food processor with the cashews. Process the mixture until very smooth, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Optionally strain the chocolate through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl, stirring continuously to speed up the process. This removes any cashew bits and makes the chocolate smoother.
- Pour the chocolate into ramekins or small individual bowls and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 4 hours.
- For the cashew cream, combine the cashews, coconut oil, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean seeds in a food processor or high speed blender. Process the mixture until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl or container and refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the Vanilla Bean Cashew Cream onto each chilled ramekin of Chocolate Vegan Pots de Creme.