We thank Jill for her post on AllRecipes.com. This simple recipe is not only vegan and dairy free, it is also a lower fat alternative to traditional egg salad recipes. If you are not vegan, regular mayonnaise may be used. Serve as you would between two slices of bread with lettuce and tomato!
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise or Nayonaise)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar (Gluten free consumers should check to ensure it is nto a grain based vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 pound firm tofu, sliced and well drained
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, vinegar, mustard, sugar, turmeric, dill, and parsley. Mix well, and reserve.
Place drained tofu in large bowl, and crumble with a fork. Stir in onion and celery. Mix in reserved mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill for several hours to allow flavors to blend.