This one is a good healthy alternative for adults and kids from prevention.com
Serves: 2 Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 med yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1/3 c strained tomatoes
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 lg whole wheat hamburger buns
- Chopped scallions (garnish)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over low heat. Add pepper, onion, garlic, and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Push vegetables to one side of pan. Raise heat to medium-high. Add meat to side without vegetables and cook, stirring, until almost cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Combine meat and vegetables. Add vinegar and stir. Add tomato paste and sugar, if desired, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, nutmeg, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Lower heat and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes.
- Open buns and toast in broiler until golden brown. Divide meat between buns, garnish with scallions, and serve.