As written, this recipe isn’t quite gluten-free. However, as pictured, it is. I used Kinnikinnick’s English Muffins (toasted), they were fabulous!
This recipe comes from the Complete Idiot’s Guide to Total Nutrition Cooking. Feel free to spice it up with your choice of chopped olives, freshly ground black pepper, lemon juice, rosemary, or all of the above to taste. Also, I used olive oil packed tuna (from Trader Joe’s), which is far superior to tuna packed in water, which tends to be mushy.
This makes more than 2 servings if you ask me!
Special Diet Notes: Tuna Bean Salad Sandwich
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 large whole-wheat pita (or gluten-free bread of choice)
- 4 oz. canned tuna, drained (author recommends packed in water for low fat/calorie I believe)
- 1 slice onion, finely chopped
- 15 oz. cannellini beans, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce
- Cut pita in half, and split open
- In a owl, combine tuna, onion, beans, and garlic.
- Place one-half leaf of lettuce inside pita half and fill with half tuna mixture. Repeat with remaining pita half.