Onions and Sardines Pizza Topping
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large or 8 medium onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 6 sardines tinned in olive oil (11/2 x 4oz tins)
- juice 1 small lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wide pan and add the onions. Cook gently for 5 minutes uncovered then cover the pan and sweat for 25-30 minutes or until the onions are quite soft and slightly caramelised.
- To cook spread the onions over the pizza base. Drain the sardines and mash them roughly with a fork, then spread them over the onions. Squeeze over the lemon juice and grate over some salt and lots of black pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a hot oven.
We have allowed for a thick layer of onions under the sardines; if you are less of an onion freak, reduce to three large onions