Caramelized Broccoli with Garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of broccoli (1-1/4 pounds total), stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise
- ½ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice and serve.