Special Diet Notes: Chestnut Wild Rice Pilaf
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups wild rice, soaked in cold water until ready to use (even a few minutes to an hour soaking will be enough)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 cups dried chestnuts (health food stores)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Large pinch saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a wide bottom pot.
- In a food processor, coarsely grind the onions, and add to the oil.
- Fry at medium temperature until very dark. Reserve.
- Strain the rice and place in the pot with 8 cups water and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium, cover and cook about 1 hour.
- Add the reserved onions and stir thoroughly.
- Serve hot.