I am an eggplant fanatic! I was elated to come across this Eggplant in Garlic Sauce recipe. It’s simple and makes for a healthy vegetarian meal paired with rice or a flavorful side dish!
You can find Hoisin Sauce easily in the Asian food section of any major grocery store.
Special Diet Notes: Eggplant in Garlic Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally gluten-free.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped fresh garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated or chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 green onions/scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free)
- I like the eggplant skin, but if you aren't big on it, this is the time to peel it. Cut the eggplant lengthways into oblong pieces about the size and length of 2 fingers side by side.
- Boil ½ cm (1/4 inch) of water in a wide frying pan, then add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed, until eggplant are softened to your satisfaction, and very little water remains (about 7 minutes for me).
- Remove the eggplant to a bowl, then heat another ½ cm water in the pan. Add garlic, ginger and hoisin sauce, then simmer briskly for 10 minutes, stirring and adding more water as needed.
- Add the soy sauce and green onions to the pan, then add the cooked eggplant, with a little more water if needed. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring to coat the eggplant with the sauce.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with rice.