Special Diet Notes: Golden Scalloped Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 medium potatoes (2-1/2 to 3 lbs.)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter alternative or margarine, divided (such as Earth Balance)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) vegetable (for vegan) or chicken broth
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh bread crumbs, coarsely ground
- ¼ to ½ cup nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan Cheese substitute (such as Parma!)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch rectangular baking dish.
- Scrub the potatoes well and slice them very thinly (1/8-inch or .25 cm thick). It is not necessary to peel the potatoes, unless you prefer to do so. Place them in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the sliced onions in 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of the butter or margarine over low heat until evenly golden - 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the remaining 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of the butter or margarine and the flour over medium heat. Whisk in the broth, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and bubbles. Continue to simmer for a minute or two, then remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes completely and layer them as follows: ⅓ of the potatoes, ½ of the onions, salt and pepper; ⅓ of the potatoes, remaining onions, salt and pepper; and finally all the remaining potatoes. Pour the sauce evenly over the potatoes and cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- If desired, combine the nutritional yeast or Parmesan substitute with the bread crumbs. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and continue baking for an additional 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the crumbs are crisp and browned.