This recipe was published with the Quad City Times.
- 1 can French-cut green beans
- 1 1/2 canisters vegan French-fried onions
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 cube veggie bouillon (if not vegan, may use chicken bouillon)
- 2/3 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2-3 tablespoons cold water to use as a thickener
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (button, crimini or portabella)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, sage, marjoram, thyme, plus any other herbs desired
Heat soy milk and veggie bouillon in a saucepan, stirring until bouillon cube disintegrates. Do not boil or scald the soy milk; just heat it. Sauté onions, carrots and mushrooms in the vegetable oil in a skillet. Add salt, pepper, and herbs and spices. Mix the starch and water well, and pour into the soymilk/bouillon. Stir well, because this will coagulate pretty quickly. Quickly add the can of green beans, the sautéed veggies and about half of French-fried onions, and stir well. Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with remaining French-fried onions. Bake in oven at about 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the onions begin to brown.