This recipe from the cookbook “The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine ” by Jennifer Raymond is very timely for summer’s grean bean season.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 pound green beans
- 3 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup rice or soy milk
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 Tablespoon lite tamari (wheat free for gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- String green beans, if necessary. Steam for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a dry pan, toast almonds over medium heat, watching carefully so that you do not burn them.
- In a saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the rice milk over medium heat. Do not let it boil. Combine the 1/4 cup remaining rice milk and arrowroot. Mix into heated mixture and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Stir in tamari and pepper. Pour hot sauce over green beans. Garnish with toasted almonds. This sauce also tastes good on other vegetables or grains.