Leek, Savoy Cabbage and Walnut Risotto
- 2 leeks, chopped
- ½ savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100g Walnut halves
- 400g Risotto rice [a scant lb or 1¾ cups]
- 1 litre veg stock [roughly 1 quart or 4 cups]
- 4 tablespoons good quality oil (such as hempseed oil)
- 1 glass white wine
- In a deep, wide pan over a low heat pour in 2 tablespoons of oil and add the onion, garlic and leeks. Sweat gently without colouring for five minutes.
- Make up the vegetable stock and keep it in a covered pan over a low heat. Keeping the stock warm is one of the crucial factors in making a good risotto. Add the rice to the softened vegetables, combine well then pour in the wine. Let the wine be absorbed by the rice then start adding the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring and letting the rice absorb the stock. The heat should be such that mixture is bubbling gently. When you add the last of the stock also add the cabbage.
- Stir well adding 2 more tablespoons of oil before serving.