I have heard rumor that Vegan Gourmet cheese actually melts! Try it out with this recipe.
Yield: 6 Servings
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter alternative spread (try Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, extra
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 2 1/2 cup unsweetened soy, almond, or oat milk (lightly heated, but not boiled)
- 1/2 cup shredded soy or rice cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Layer potatoes and onions in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt between layers.
Melt butter alternative in a saucepan, remove from heat and stir through flour. Return mixture to heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually add soy milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat and simmer, but do not boil, until mixture begins to thicken. Add extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt and basil.
Pour sauce over layered potatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with soy/rice cheese if desired, and return to oven to cook for 15 minutes more, or until done.