Pumpkin Mushroom Stuffing (Vegan)
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin bread
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup butter alternative or margarine
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight. Alternatively, heat in a 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) oven until dry, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt non-dairy butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute celery and onions for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Season with rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes (walnuts and cranberries if desired), and add enough broth to moisten. Transfer to prepared dish, and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 10 minutes, or until top is crisp.