Special Diet Notes: Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
For vegetarian / vegan: Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage would be a great alternative and sub vegetable broth for the chicken stock.
- 1½ cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 3¾ cups cubed white bread
- 1 pound pork sage sausage, or other sausage of choice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup butter alternative, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Drain excess liquid. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
- Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, and parsley. Drizzle with chicken stock and butter alternative, and mix lightly. Spoon into turkey to loosely fill.