Notes: We discovered this top rated recipe on AllRecipes.com. We have made several ingredient substitute suggestions below, but feel free to experiment with your own! If you are looking for a vegan granola bar, the egg may be omitted, but consider adding an extra Tablespoon or two of liquid or binder, such as soy / rice milk, applesauce, or nut butter.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (may substitute white or oat flour)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup raisins (may substitute chocolate chips or dried berries)
- ½ cup wheat germ (may substitute oat bran or ground flaxseed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup honey (may substitute agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, oats through walnuts. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend the remaining liquid ingredients. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan, then turn out onto a cutting board and cut into bars.