We discovered the recipe for these versatile granola bars as the top rated recipe on AllRecipes.com. We have made several ingredient substitute suggestions below, but feel free to experiment with your own!
Special Diet Notes: Versatile Granola Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian,
For egg-free and vegan: the egg may be omitted, but consider adding an extra tablespoon or two of liquid or binder, such as dairy-free milk beverage, applesauce, or nut butter.
For gluten-free: swap the wheat flour for gluten-free oat flour or favorite GF all purpose flour.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (may substitute white or oat flour)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup raisins (may substitute chocolate chips or dried berries)
- ½ cup wheat germ (may substitute oat bran or ground flaxseed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup honey (may substitute agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, oats through walnuts. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend the remaining liquid ingredients.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden.
- Cool completely in pan, then turn out onto a cutting board and cut into bars.