Chickpea Soup for Hummus Lovers
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
- 1 pound dried chickpeas / garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 12 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ cup sesame paste
- 1 large bunch cilantro, stems cut off
- 1 large bunch flat parsley, leaves and stems
- 6 ribs celery, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 12 cups (3 quarts) water
- Ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Bring all but last 2 ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook, covered, 2 hours.
- Add the lemon juice and the pepper.
- Cream until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Adjust texture and seasonings