Special Diet Notes: Cream of Fennel Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and optionally nut-free.
For vegetarian / vegan: substitute vegetable broth.
- 2 tbsp dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance) or light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, slice crosswise
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 32 oz. chicken broth (like Pacific Foods)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, minced
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- Fennel fronds (garnish)
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the margarine or oil. Sauté the onions and garlic until they are soft.
- Add the fennel, parsley, and chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer the mixture about 20 minutes, until the fennel is quite tender.
- Pureé the mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. Stir in the lemon juice, salt, white pepper, and tarragon. Chill the soup thoroughly.
- Add mixture to the dairy-free milk and serve the soup garnished with fennel.