Submitted by Rosey – I just received this recipe in a newsletter, I can't wait to try it….
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into about ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 3/4 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth (vegan)
- 6 oz canned coconut milk
- 2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & white pepper to taste
Peel squash and cut into pieces.
Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and continue to sauté for another minute. Add turmeric, curry powder, and mix well. Add squash and broth, and mix. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
Place in blender and blend with coconut milk. Make sure you blend in batches filling blender only half full. Start on low speed, so hot soup does not erupt and burn you. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Thin with a little broth if needed. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Reheat, and add cilantro.