Creamy Dairy-Free Wild Rice Soup
Author: Recipes for People with Food Allergies
- 4 c water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c uncooked wild rice
- 3 tbsp chopped green onions
- ¼ c shredded carrot
- 6 tbsp dairy-free margarine
- ⅓ cup flour (can use all-purpose gluten-free flour without gums)
- 2 cans chicken broth (29 oz total)
- ½ c diced fully cooked ham
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 c full-fat or light coconut milk
- 4-5 dashes nutmeg
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté the onions and carrot in butter substitute for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Add ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer 5 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Reduce heat, add coconut milk and nutmeg and heat through.