- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped, or 2 medium leeks, white parts only, chopped and well rinsed
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 6 cups water
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart saucepan or small soup pot. Add the onion or leeks and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion or leeks brown lightly.
- Add the wine and water.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
- You may leave the onions and garlic in if you wish, or strain the stock through a fine strainer. Discard the solids or puree them and add to soup for a thicker consistency.
Calories: 42 Total fat: 2 g Protein: 1 g Fiber: 1 g
Carbohydrate: 4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 9 mg