This chili tapenade ventures away from the ordinary, combining ripe California olives with a blend of cilantro, onions, lime and chipotle chilies.
Zesty and packed with bold flavors, this chili tapenade can be scooped with tortilla chips, pressed in paninis or dairy-free quesadillas, stirred into dairy-free sour cream for a quick dip, or spooned into tacos.
Since this chili tapenade is at its best after chilling in the refrigerator for an hour or more, it can be made a day in advance for weeknight needs or your next fiesta.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chili Tapenade
This recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, and all around allergy-friendly. It is also vegan / vegetarian. Just be sure to select your accompaniments wisely, such as dairy-free and gluten-free chips, if needed.
This recipe was shared with us by the California Olive Committee.
- 2 6-ounce cans California Ripe Olives, well drained
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 canned chipotle pepper plus
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can
- Good quality tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- Drain olives well and place in a food processor with all remaining ingredients, except the chips. Pulse on and off until finely chopped.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips or try one of the serving options from the post above.