This recipe for creamy tomato soup is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Veronica. For the creamy finish, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Tomato Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian and vegan.
For tree nut-free and dairy-free creamy tomato soup, So Delicious makes Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the AlmondMilk.
- 3 tablespoons avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 32 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes (not drained)
- 3 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Almond Plus AlmondMilk, plus additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Garnishes: cilantro, tomato, avocado, lime zest
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion to the hot oil and cook until tender, but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring a few times, for about 1 minute. Add the baking soda, salt, pepper, tomatoes (breaking them up as you add them) and the 3 cups of So Delicious Almond Milk. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened and well combined.
- Carefully transfer mixture to a blender* and blend until smooth (be careful when blending if it’s too hot as it may splatter). Transfer soup back to the pan and stir in chili paste, tomato paste and additional So Delicious Almond milk to achieve desired consistency (I like to add about another ½ cup). Continue cooking until heated through. Divide into serving bowls and garnish as desired with cilantro, tomatoes, avocado and lime zest.