Peanut, pineapple and salmon? Don’t knock it until you try it! Warm Asian flavors and a simple broccoli slaw rice tie the spicy peanut butter glaze, salmon skewers and triple infusion of pineapple together. The recipe is relatively quick to make and offers stunning presentation for a wonderful weeknight meal or an impressive dish for entertaining.
This recipe with photo for spicy Asian salmon skewers was shared with us by Peanut Butter Lovers.
Special Diet Notes: Spicy Asian Salmon Skewers with Slaw Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, and tree nut-free.
For peanut-free spicy Asian salmon skewers, swap in sunflower seed butter for the glaze and skip the peanut garnish.
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, divided
- 1½ pounds salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free)
- 1½ cups packaged broccoli slaw mix
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped salted peanuts
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Fresh lime slices and cilantro leaves, optional for garnish
- Drain the pineapple chunks, reserving juice.
- Place ¼ cup of the pineapple juice into a bowl with the soy sauce; add the salmon, tossing to coat. Let sit about 15 minutes.
- Gently stir ¼ cup of the pineapple juice and broccoli slaw into hot rice, until well combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk the peanut butter with the remaining pineapple juice, chili sauce, lime juice, and lime zest, until well combined.
- Place an oven rack 6 inches from broiler element and preheat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil and grease.
- Thread the salmon cubes and pineapple chunks onto 8 metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers, dividing equally, and place them on the prepared broiler pan.
- Cook the skewers for 2 minutes, then brush with the peanut butter mixture. Repeat brushing and broiling until the salmon is flaky, turning as needed to brown evenly, about 8 minutes total.
- Divide the warm rice slaw evenly among four serving plates and top with skewers.
- Sprinkle the skewers lightly with chopped peanuts. Serve with additional lime slices and cilantro leaves, if desired.