This recipe for zucchini soup is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shannon Kohn. To qualify, the recipe includes Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Springtime Zucchini Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For nut-free and generally top food allergy-friendly zucchini soup, simply omit the pine nut garnish.
- 1 lb fresh zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups hot, cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, chopped
- Combine zucchini, onion, garlic and vegetable broth in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 10-12 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree cooked vegetables and broth directly in pan using an immersion blender, or allow mixture to cool until safe to place into a large food processor, puree, and return to pan.
- To pureed mixture in saucepan, add coconut milk beverage, salt and pepper. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 4-6 minutes, stirring regularly, to warm soup and combine flavors.
- While soup is warming, combine rice and basil in a medium bowl.
- To serve: Divide and ladle soup into 4 - 6 shallow serving bowls. To middle of soup in each bowl, decoratively mound an equal amount of the basil-rice mixture. Garnish top of rice mixture in each bowl with an equal amount of the chopped pine nuts. Serve immediately.