This recipe for dairy-free cornbread is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by the Sugar Bakers, CJ Leavens and Joey Conway. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 core ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
A quick faux “buttermilk” makes this dairy-free cornbread a close cousin to traditional recipes.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Sweet Dairy-Free Cornbread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 egg replacer (Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with water)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF degrees.
- Prepare an 8” square pan with parchment paper.
- Measure out the almond milk and add the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to make dairy free buttermilk.
- Combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Melt dairy free margarine.
- Stir white sugar into the dairy free margarine then add the egg replacer and dairy free buttermilk.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until only a few lumps are still left.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.