This recipe for sweet potato coconut soup is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Vanessa Burnum. For the rich base, she uses pureed sweet potato, garbanzos, and Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
By ingredients, this recipe for sweet potato coconut soup is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian. It’s all around allergy-friendly! Just be sure to check the vegetable broth you are using for allergens, and for peanut-free, omit the optional peanuts.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1-3/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Juice of one lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ Cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- Sauté onions in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and curry paste, cook 30s more.
- Add coconut milk and veggie broth to deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil, add potatoes and chickpeas. Cover and simmer 10-20min or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Puree in high speed blender or with a submersion blender. Optional: serve with chopped peanuts.