This recipe for coconut risotto is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Heather Kessler. For the creamy coconut part, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Toasted Coconut Risotto
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- ¾ cup arborio rice
- 3 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 1 mango or other fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a large sauce pan over high heat, add rice and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over low heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 18 minutes, until the rice is tender and mixture is thick.
- While rice is cooking, spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, 8-9 minutes. Check often so it doesn't burn.
- Prepare a water bath. Place a smaller bowl inside a large bowl filled with ice and water.
- Peel and dice the mango.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in salt, vanilla, sugar and ½ cup toasted coconut.
- Pour mixture into the small bowl of water bath, and stir until chilled - about 5 minutes.
- Dish risotto into 4 serving bowls and top with mango pieces and remaining toasted coconut.