This recipe for Thai meatballs is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Mimi Chang. For the green curry sauce, she uses Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious.
Mimi says, “We like to serve these Thai meatballs with Thai sticky rice. So Delicious!!!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Thai Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free and tree nut-free.
- 1 lb ground beef (90% lean)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs (regular or gluten-free)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup chopped scallion
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoon sriracha
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 container So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk (equivalent to 1 can full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons green curry
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a medium bowl.
- Form into 12 meatballs and place on parchment paper.
- Brown the meatballs in a nonstick pan in two batches, each with 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a large saucepan (I use wide a 3.5 quart), combine the ingredients for the sauce except for the lime zest. Mix well and cook over low until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and increase heat to medium-low. Simmer meatballs in sauce until cooked all the way through, turning them occasionally (cook for about 15 minutes).
- Serve with lime zest on top. VOILA!