Eating, hanging out with friends, and critiquing the advertisements is half the fun of the Superbowl, but there’s no need to sacrifice your health while enjoying good party food. Forgo the greasy chicken wings, and whip up a batch of these turkey lettuce wraps (a.k.a – gluten-free burger sliders), from my friend Cara, instead …
Cara Lyons ~ To many of my friends and family, I know this recipe sounds like old news. Not only have I made it over and over again, so have they. That’s why I know it’s good.
That’s right, we’re all getting our groove on about a turkey burger. Of course, it’s not just any turkey burger, trying unsuccessfully to disguise itself as an all-beef patty. What fun would that be? Instead, this turkey burger takes on a life of its own with creamy peanut butter, sweet carrots, toasty sesame oil, and kickin’ chili garlic sauce. After you try these turkey lettuce wraps, I can promise you one thing: the next time someone whines, “Are turkey burgers really as good as beef?” you’ll confidently answer, “No, they’re better.”
- 8oz 93% Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 Medium Carrot, shredded
- 1 Large Scallion, minced
- ¼ Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
- Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper [about ¼ to ½ teaspoon each, depending on your tastes]
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Light Mayonnaise, preferably olive-oil based [can sub vegan mayo for egg-free]
- Handful of Cilantro, finely minced
- 1-2 Teaspoons Chili Garlic Sauce
- Water, to thin, if desired
- Mini Hamburger Buns of your choice [gluten-free ones if you want to keep the recipe gluten-free] + Mixed Greens, or Bibb Lettuce Leaves, for serving
- Combine the burger ingredients a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Form the turkey mixture into 16-20 miniature “sliders”.
- Cook the patties for about 3-5 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, cilantro, and chili garlic sauce, to taste. You may want to thin the mixture a bit with water so that you can drizzle over if using lettuce wraps.
- Serve the burgers on buns with the cilantro-chili mayo and greens, or with bibb lettuce leaves.
Diet type: Dairy free, optionally Egg free, Gluten free, optionally Soy free, Tree Nut free, Wheat free
More Hearty Recipes Like This One for the Big Game: