This recipe for toasted coconut rice pudding is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Robin Batterson. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 core ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Robin says this dairy-free and naturally gluten-free toasted coconut rice pudding is “an upscale company version of a homey family dessert.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Toasted Coconut Rice Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 quart So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage (Robin uses 1 package Culinary Coconut Milk (equivalent to 1 can of full-fat coconut milk) and the rest coconut milk beverage when she wants a richer result)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces coconut flakes, toasted
- Mix egg yolks, coconut milk, sugar, rice, and vanilla in saucepan, bring to boil, turn down the temperature, and simmer, stirring occasionally. Keep cooking until most all the milk is absorbed and you just have cooked rice in a custard type base. Transfer custard to a bowl, cover and chill.
- While custard cools spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast in a 350ºF oven until lightly toasted, stirring every 2 minutes for even browning. Cool.
- When custard has cooled, in separate bowl beat reserved egg whites till stiff peaks form, fold into custard and return to refrigerator.
- Rice pudding can be put into individual dishes or one large one, Cover top with coconut or just around edges, your choice.