I mean really, why mess around? Just one triple chocolate muffin is enough to fulfill for breakfast or when that relentless mid-afternoon hunger hits. To keep it wholesome, I’ve used oats and flax as the base, and even added a little nuttiness (yes, there is a nut-free option!) for flavor, staying power, and a tender texture.
This triple chocolate mug muffin is still a treat, but it’s much more virtuous than those white flour bakery muffins, less expensive, and you can whip it up in an instant with regular pantry ingredients. Yes, it seriously takes just 5 minutes, cook time and all!
Not a fan of the microwave? Don’t worry, I tested an oven-baked option, too. It takes a little longer, of course, but is just as easy to prepare. And for baking ease, I opted to make it into a little ramekin “snack cake” rather than a muffin in a mug.
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, but the recipe, idea, and love for making muffins are my own.
Special Diet Notes: Triple Chocolate Mug Muffin
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, optionally peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based and vegetarian.
- ⅓ cup oat flour* (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-Processed)
- ⅜ teaspoon baking powder (1/4 teaspoon above 5000 feet)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Chocolate Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter, sunflower seed butter or almond butter (unsalted or lightly salted)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Whisk the flour, flaxseed, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a small bowl until no cocoa clumps remain.
- Add the milk beverage, nut or seed butter, maple syrup, and vanilla, and whisk until relatively smooth, but do not over mix.
- Lightly grease a large mug and scrape all of the batter in. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and gently stir just to mix some of them in.
- Cook on HIGH in the microwave (see below for alternate Baking Instructions) for 2 minutes (reduce the time by 15 to 30 seconds if you prefer a moister / gooier middle than pictured).
Baking Instructions: Pour the mixture into a greased ramekin (about halfway to ⅔ full) and bake at 375ºF for 18 to 24 minutes, depending on the depth of your ramekin, or until a toothpick inserted comes out relatively clean (may have some melted chocolate on it!).